Did anyone think of “Robin Sparkles” from How I Met Your Mother when you read my post title?
Whenever Mal and I mention a trip to the mall, we always sing “let’s go to the mall” just like the song (because we’re huge nerds, obviously).
Anyway, I went to the mall this morning to get my wedding and engagement rings re-sized at Long’s. (Thankfully, this location is not where I suggested getting “never to fart” engraved on them.)
Over the past several months, it’s become harder and harder for me to get my rings on and off. I take them off for CrossFit because I don’t want to ruin them when I use the barbells and do exercises (pull-ups, etc.) on the bar. Basically, metal on metal while working out is just not a good combo.
Anyway, I was struggling so much to get my rings on and off, it got to the point where I was starting to develop callouses on either side of my ring finger. I know, it’s kind of gross, but I could still get my rings on and off without much trouble, so I didn’t worry about it. Fast forward to last week and suddenly it became almost impossible for me to get my rings on and off. I tried running my finger under cold water, using soap and hand lotion, and even Windex (as suggested by my mother-in-law), and it was still a serious struggle.
On Saturday morning when I tried to remove my rings for CrossFit, I ended up ripping the callouses on either side of my finger and bleeding everywhere, so I decided enough was enough and it was time to get them re-sized . Initially, I didn’t want to pay the money to get them re-sized (it’s not cheap), but I couldn’t keep doing what I was doing. My poor finger!
My rings started to get tight this summer, but I thought it was just the warm weather and once the cold temps arrived, my fingers would shrink down again. They never did, and I have no idea why they all of a sudden blew up. I thought maybe my fingers were growing because my grip is getting stronger from CrossFit, but Mal pooh-poohed that idea when I suggested it the other day. (Hey, you never know!) Long story short, I dropped my rings off to be re-sized and they’ll be ready on Sunday. I miss them already!
When I got home from the mall, I was starving””it was well past my usual lunchtime””so I snacked on some Sweet Potato Wedges while I made lunch.
The Laughing Cow sent me a “Mystery Box” last week with their “Guide to a Lighter Winter” with tips from my friend Sarah as well as some Light French Onion Spreadable Cheese Wedges. (It’s called a “mystery box” because it’s supposed to help remove some of the mystery behind how to stick to a healthy living routine in the colder months when it’s more challenging.)
I had a little fun with The Laughing Cow samples and whipped up a delicious, nutritious, and cheesy egg bake for lunch today.
Light & Cheesy Egg Bake
- 4 wedges of Light French Onion, room temperature (or warmed with hands)
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup mashed acorn squash*
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded spinach
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a small baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine cheese wedges, eggs, egg whites, squash, Swiss, garlic, garlic powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl; blend well.
- Saute onion and spinach in olive oil until onions are soft and spinach is wilted; allow to cool.
- Add onions and spinach to the egg mixture and then pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until the middle is cooked all the way through.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Makes 4-6 servings
* Other kinds of squash, sweet potato, and pumpkin would also probably work in this recipe.
It turned out so well””light, fluffy, creamy, and cheesy!
P.S. Just wanted to share””I saw these dogs on the news last night and then a reader sent me this link this morning: Dogs to help mend hearts in Newtown.